synApps versions 4-5 and greater are released under the EPICS Open license as shown below. The EPICS Open license is intended to comply with the Open Source Definition, but has not been submitted for approval to the OSI panel.
synApps is not a single monolithic piece of software, but a collection of software tools that work together to help create a beamline control system. Different parts of synApps were developed at different places, and are distributed under different licenses depending on the originators of the software, which in turn will usually depend on the requirements and policy of the laboratory or other organization that sponsored the work. Where the licence differs from the EPICS Open source licence you will find that licence in the code.
Copyright (c) 2004 University of Chicago and the Regents of the University of
synApps is distributed subject to the following license conditions:
1. The "Software", below, refers to synApps (in either source code, or
2. The copyright holders shown above and their third-party licensors hereby
3. You may modify and make a copy or copies of the Software for use within
4. You may modify a copy or copies of the Software or any portion of it, thus
5. Portions of the Software resulted from work developed under a
6. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER. THE SOFTWARE IS SUPPLIED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF
7. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT WILL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS, THEIR
|Old Collaboration Agreements|
Agreements executed with Los Alamos National Laboratory for the original EPICS Collaboration remain in effect for previously distributed versions of synApps software.