MERIX is a medium energy resolution 6 circle diffractometer for non-resonant and resonant inelastic x-ray measurements.
- Detect Strip detector: dramatically more collected phonons at a given energy resolution compared to conventional detectors (principle of operation).
- Pin diode detector mounted on the two theta arm for final sample alignment
- Fluorescence detector: for absorption measurements on samples
- Spot size: focused horizontal x vertical = 45 um x 6 um, unfocussed = 2.2 mm x 0.4 mm
- Momentum resolution varies with incident energy but the angular acceptance of the analyzer is 5.7 degrees. This can be reduced with slits.
- Maximum two-theta is 90 (horizontal) and 62 (vertical).
- chi range is -15 to 20 or 75 to 110 (depending on which phi circle is used)
- Strip detector scan columns:
||Number of counts, unnormalized in any way
||number of strips used at each energy
||error bar for F column = sqrt(C)*max(A)/A