The 7ID-B hutch is optimized for white-beam and pink-beam imaging experiments using the time structure of the APS x-ray pulses. A series of choppers is employed to reduce the average x-ray beam power and then isolate individual x-ray bunches or bunch trains in the hybrid singlet operating mode, allowing single-shot and single-pulse imaging of liquid jets, sprays, and other transient systems with 100 ps and µm temporal and spatial resolutions, respectively.
Shown at right is a fuel-injection chamber for studying a broad range of fuel injectors used in internal combustion engines. X rays enter through the window in front, interact with the liquid spray, and then impinge on a fluorescent crystal to be sensed by a high-speed visible-light camera.
- Revealing pMDI Spray Initial Conditions: Flashing, Atomisation and the Effect of Ethanol, Nicholas Mason-Smith, Daniel J. Duke, Alan L. Kastengren, Daniela Traini, Paul M. Young, Yang Chen, David A. Lewis, Daniel Edgington-Mitchell, and Damon Honnery, Pharmaceutical Research 34, 718 (2017).
- Effect of the number and position of nozzle holes on in- and near-nozzle dynamic characteristics of diesel injection, Seoksu Moon, Yuan Gao, Suhan Park, Jin Wang, Naoki Kurimoto, and Yoshiaki Nishijima, Fuel 150, 112 (2015)
- Unraveling the Geometry Dependence of In-Nozzle Cavitation in High-Pressure Injectors, K.-S. Im, S.-K. Cheong, C.F. Powell,M.-c.D. Lai, and Jin Wang, Scientific Reports 3, 2067 (2013)
- Ultra-Fast Phase-Contrast X-ray Imaging of Near-Nozzle Velocity Field of High-Speed Diesel Fuel Sprays, Z. Liu, K.-S. Im, X. Xie, Yujie Wang, Xusheng Zhang, Seoksu Moon, Jian Gao, Kamel Fezzaa, M.-C. Lai, Kathy Harkay, Vadim Sajaev, Louis Emery, and Jin Wang, Proceedings of ILASS-Americas 22nd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Cincinnati, OH (May 2010)
- Particle tracking velocimetry using fast x-ray phase-contrast imaging, K.-S. Im, K. Fezzaa, Y.J. Wang, X. Liu, Jin Wang, and M.-C. Lai, Applied Physics Letters 90, 091919 (2007)